I am an experienced couples therapist who specializes in San Francisco couples counseling and marital therapy.
The Purpose of Couples Counseling
Relationships have a tendency to activate strong feelings about ourselves and our partners. The purpose of couples counseling is to stimulate self-reflection and to facilitate healthy, honest communication between individuals. Couples counseling can be a place where you and your partner come together to examine patterns of thinking and behaving which lead to unhealthy merging, distance and conflict. Couples counseling in my San Francisco practice can also be a place to disclose new information, reassess old agreements, and change the direction of a relationship.
Types of Couples Counseling
In my San Francisco practice, I offer pre-marital, marital, and relationship counseling. I also work with couples already in the process of separating or filing for divorce. I see heterosexual and LGBTQQI couples as well as couples in both monogamous and open relationships.
Relationship Skills Learned in Couples Counseling
- Learning how to identify your feelings in the moment and communicate them effectively to your partner
- Learning how to listen to your partner's experience with greater understanding
- Learning how to discuss sensitive subjects like infidelity, jealousy, parenting, and finances
- Learning how to disagree and argue in a respectful way
- Learning how to accept and work through situations which cannot be changed
- Understanding your comfort level with intimacy, both emotional and sexual, and the difficulties associated with it
- Understanding how your family upbringing and past relationships have affected your sense of self and the way that you relate to your partner
When to Begin Couples Counseling